Monday, January 23, 2012

beggars can be choosers

I started my new job last week on thursday. it was a fairly long commute, but thanks to my friend and roomie i found it easily. of course i got there way too early, so i took a little walk around the block and then made my way to the school, although its not really a school its a playgroup site? location? i'm not really sure what to call it. I beat my trainer there and had to wait for a while. and what do you know, my trainer was from sweeden and prior to teaching was a model. . .cool.

instead of just job shadowing i taught part of the first class of the day. it went ok, not great, but ok. the classes are very small, 6-8 students, and last an hour and a half. so if the students were older than 2 years they would come in the class alone, and if they were under they come in the class with a parent or caregiver. the youngest students were 8 months old. seriously, how do you teach an 8 month old?? i was not loving that. i just don't take to babies, i like kids when they grow a personality, otherwise what's the point.

so i tried to give the job a fair chance, and keep an open mind, but after my second day i just knew this was not the job for me. and i'm not desolate, so i went ahead and quit. not the most responsible decision, moving to a foreign country without a job, then finding one, and then quitting it after 2 days. i just don't know if i'm built to work a full time job, haha, just jokes, i'm sure i can as long as its not a horrible unrewarding job that i have to be at on saturday AND sunday, hello, what about my social life!!!

luckily, i have two awesome roommates who were more than supportive and after i sent an email of resignation friday they helped me look for some jobs. i applied for quite a few, and the next day got a couple calls and a couple emails back. right now i've got two interviews lined up, one for friday and one for monday, so all is not lost. . .hopefully :)

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! What is the point of being in Hong Kong if you are going to be miserable. And babies aren't for everytone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the interviews, I'm sure your charisma will win them over! Hope one of those jobs are a better fit, too!

    ReplyDelete