Monday, March 5, 2012

I'M A CHAMPION. . .minus two places







I was as productive as I could be this Sunday. . well as productive as you can be beating a banana. And by beating a banana I mean fighting cancer, yep, just like a superhero. I signed up for the "elite" 6k rather than the fun run 3k. At first I thought the "elite" thing was a joke, but when I got to the race I was starting to sweat it a little. There were not a ton of racers there and I really didn't want to come panting in all sweaty and staggering at the end. So I set a soft goal for myself to finish before the last 10. I positioned myself at the back of the pack so as to keep myself out of the way of these "elite" racers. Little did I know I would soon be passing these suckers left and right.

This race was looped with two laps, so on the loop of the second lap I was counting the people in front of me and they looped around and there were approximately 18 of them. WOW, I'm usually a middle-of-the-pack kind of girl. Once when I ran track I actually slowed down because I was in first place and I was so confused about what one was to do when they were in first place, and then some girl passed me and I didn't have to worry about it anymore. Back to present day, I didn't slow down, in fact I sped up a little bit. I even overtook a guy right before the finish like, and it felt good! After I crossed the finish line I grabbed my finishers medal and then a race official came up to me to tell me I was the second runner up in the girls division. I didn't even believe her at first, me, Kelly Asacartoon, 2nd runner up?!? SHOCK AND AWE, and then I started screaming and jumping, and there was a video guy there, so I'm still hoping I get on the news. In theory I won a trophy and a cash prize. . .but in real life I can't get any of that because I don't have a Hong Kong ID, so technically I wasn't even qualified to be in the race. But they can't take away my bragging rights!!


No comments:

Post a Comment