Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Gifted

I wear these plastic rubber band bracelets on my wrist.  The same wrist I wear my sports watch.  I have been working on this collection for almost three years now, and sadly, its one of my better accomplishments.  When I meet new people I can't wait for them to ask what they mean, or make some joke about why I have so many (the current count is seven).  So, if you ever meet me, be sure to find a way to bring it up.

Sure, they have their hindrances  I have to undo all the button-able sleeves on my oxford shirts when putting on and taking off.  Sometimes one of the bracelets will get stuck under another and I have to un-wedge it.  Someone once asked if they bother me when I run, and I said not at all, but then that idea got into my head, and my next run I had a weird phantom pain in my wrist.  For the most part, they bring me nothing but joy.  I really love colours, so all these are a great way to be wearing as many colours as possible at all times.

A few of my favourite interactions involving these bracelets are:
1)  I met a guy in a bar when I was on holiday in England.  He was chatting me up and asked what my bracelets meant, I launched into my routine and told the funny story that goes with each one.  I noticed he had one, so I made some joke about him feeling inadequate with only one.  We laughed.  I asked what his meant...his dad had pancreatic cancer.

2)  I was with some acquaintance friends at a destination wedding and we were having dinner the night before the event.  A girl (my age) asked about my bracelets, and I did my old spiel.  She asked if I would wear them to the wedding and I assured her I would, I never take them off (no, not even to shower, it would take longer to get them off and back on than most of my showers take).  She congratulated me on being true to myself and commented that it is hard for women over a certain age to pull off things like that.

I was admiring my bracelets just recently.  My newest one was given to me by the last guy I slept with because he saw I had so many and wanted to add to the collection.  I was reminiscing and then I realized...this is the only jewelry a man has ever given me.  I guess a punchline should go here, but my life is the ultimate punchline, so, done.

No comments:

Post a Comment