Friday, December 19, 2014

British Gentleman


I was travelling from England to Belgium a couple months ago, and I had a connecting bus.  The first bus dropped me off at this little bus stop with no people or lights, but my next bus went on a ferry, and I could see signs indicating the ferry terminal was nearby.  When I got off the bus, I asked the driver if this is where I waited for the bus going on the ferry to Belgium and she told me yes.  So, I'm waiting and waiting...being very patient, which is not in my nature, except when I'm on holiday, I suppose.  No other people show up, and then I start to see some buses drive by on a highway a good 100 yards from where this bus stop is.  I finally see a guy walk by with a reflective vest, and assume he works for the ferry terminal. 




This is the angriest I've ever made a stranger.  Except there was this youth in the park the day before who wanted 3 pounds 50 for chicken and chips.  He had a friend with him, and I felt uncomfortable, so I said no and then he called me a "horrible bitch" not shouty, just in a quiet storm kind of way.  The next girl he walked up to and asked gave him the money, so I guess he got his chicken and chips.  Anyway, this ferry terminal guy was vocally upset with me.  So upset, in fact, that he threw his hat on the ground.  Here is a re-dramatization. 


After he picked his hat up, and properly chastised me, making me feel quite small and stupid he told me to get in his car and we chased the bus towards the ferry.  When we got in the car, he was sniffling a bit from being outside all day.  He apologized for the sniffles, but no mention was made of the hat outburst.  He had to flash his badge to get us through some checkpoints and we found my bus just as it was about to go through immigration.  It was a german bus driver who was not impressed with my shenanigans at all, but at least I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment