Monday, June 9, 2014

Awkward Alaska

As mentioned multiple times before, I'm not all that great with remembering names.  Well, I managed to take it a step further here in Alaska.  I was hanging out in the lounge of the employee housing building and a co-worker passed by and introduced me to a guy she was seeing, we chatted for a couple minutes, then went about our separate business.  Later that week, I was in the employee dining room and saw the guy, so I smiled and waved.  I saw him again the next day and smiled and waved again.  Then he asked if I'd like to join him, so I sat down with him and we did the normal surface get to know you chit chat.  As I was walking away from the dining room I realized this was not the same guy and felt like a total creep.

In this situation I ended up not being the total creep though.  This guy started coming up to the front desk where I work and lingering around.  He ended up asking me out, and I'm not used to being asked out, so I stammered a yes and immediately regretted it.  He asked me when my co-worker was standing next to me as well.  To make matters worse, after he left, the co-worker told me he had hooked up with her last season, but mid hook up pulled the brakes and told her he couldn't hook up because he had a girlfriend...gross.  Then she continues to tell me he is only 21 or 22...double gross.  Mind you, I am not at all attracted to this guy, and now I'm stuck going on a date with him.

Luckily, the day of the date was super hectic at work and I ended up working overtime and missing the date.  So, I thought I was in the clear.  But this guy wouldn't take a hint...ok, to be fair I didn't give any clear hint, but I was never flirting with him, I had like one lame conversation with him.  He kept coming up to the front desk and asking about my schedule, and I kept putting him off.  Then, one I got on the employee bus that takes us from the lodge to the employee house about 20 minutes away, and who was on the bus...this creeper.  He lives at the lodge, so he doesn't even need to be on the bus, he rode it, just to trap me.  It was horribly awkward, and when we got back to employee housing, he told me he could ride the bus with me every day, I just laughed nervously.  Then, he offered to walk me to my room, but I told him I was meeting up with a friend to watch a movie.

The next day, he was lurking around the front desk towards the end of my shift so we could ride the bus together, and I was thoroughly creeped out, so I told my supervisor about the situation, because I'm a baby and can't clean up my own messes.  I was hiding in the back and she went out and asked if she could help him.  He asked where I was, and she told him I had clocked out, but she was going to be giving me rides home from now on.

I've seen him in passing a couple times now, but I think he got the hint.

4 comments:

  1. You couldn't just tell him, "I'm not interested and you are coming on really strong?!" Poor supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know, I'm a coward...I'm working on it.

      Delete
  2. Tell the next guy "eat a grenade". It is precise, short and gets your point across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I don't want to just be an asshole, I don't think he was intentionally being a creep, and I'm sure I come off as a creep a lot of the time, so I was just taking a stab at not being a dick. But, I think you are right, best to be straight forward in situations such as these.

      Delete